Monday, July 6, 2009

Kreativ Blogger Award



Bish was nice enough to nominate me for this award, and even though I am late, I will play. I am supposed to nominate other folks, but I think we are in something of a blogging clique here -- all female writers of children's literature. So we know pretty much the same people and I will be double tagging them. If you haven't been nominated, and you want to play along, send me an email and I will happily nominate you.

The other piece of this is to confess seven things about you that folks might find curious or that they didn't know. I have so much ample weirdness in my life that it was hard to narrow it down to seven. That's probably not good. Anyway, here goes:

1. I am constantly thinking about moving. We haven't exactly blended in the natives here who watch Nascar all day and carve decoys for the annual duck hunting decoy show. I look at real estate markets all over the East Coast. I am currently considering Virginia, Princeton and northern Manhattan. Of course, money plays no part in these fantasies.

2. I still haven't bought curtains for our windows. We have these sheets of linen tied at the bottom (I can't even cut fabric straight let alone sew). Every time I walk into one of those curtain shops and the domestic divas start discussing "window treatments" I get panicky and flee. Maybe installing window treatments would help imbue a greater sense of permanency to our house.

3. I think cats are connected to some kind of mystical energy that is invisible to humans. I won't say anything more about this belief or I will have to move to L.A. - or at least Oregon.

4. I write several pieces at once even though most other writers are baffled by this habit. I absolutely have to be in the mood for a certain character or I end up looking at seven bedroom homes in Alexandria. (Those virtual tours can be compelling)

5. I steam organic vegetables for dinner and when the kids are done, I sneak outside with half a pint of Ben and Jerry's.

6. I worry that I like to read blogs now more than talk to actual people. Bloggy people never ask me to bake or watch their kids, and I can think about what they wrote before writing anything back. They demand so little...

7. I can't decide whether I like or don't like the Internet. I really can't. It's probably the only area of my life where I don't lean a little more to the yes or no area. Sometimes I think it's wonderful and sometimes I feel lost when I'm online --like there's this big party that's been going on and I just arrived. It's exactly 50/50. In fact, the older I get, the less able I am to make decisions in general, but this one is the only one that's still completely yin/yang.

Those are the first seven that come to mind, but I'm sure if I dug a little, there's way deeper and stranger stuff. For now, I'll just let this stuff float out there.

12 comments:

Christy Raedeke said...

I love your list of seven. And re: #3, yes! I agree about the mystical cat thing and also agree you need to move to Oregon to fully explore the theory...

K.C. Shaw said...

Thinking of moving to a new place and going through virtual home tours are my mother's greatest joys. She's addicted to House Hunters too. Of course, she moves every two years (typically just across town). I definitely see the appeal too, although curtains do help anchor one to a particular house. :)

Anne Spollen said...

Christy, hubster is a bike fanatic and keeps talking about going to school out in Oregon to learn how to run a bike shop. (I'm vaguely aware of gears) So we may be out there, at least for awhile.

K.C, I should form a group of real estate voyeur junkies. It can't just be me and your mom getting email alerts from Realty Trac.

Christy Raedeke said...

Anne, could you be talking about the United Bicycle Institute in Ashland, about a mile from my house? That would be FAR too coincidental! Crazier than the red cat collar!

Anne Spollen said...

UBI, unless there are two in Oregon,and I'm pretty sure he's not referring to an Upper Bowel Infection. That's what he calls it. He keeps telling me that Oregon is such great bike country. So yeah. And that IS weird.

Anne Spollen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy Raedeke said...

FREAKY! And cool. Hope you and your kids come out while he's attending. Come during play season - you can see 11 plays in a week! Check it out: www.osfashland.org

Seriously, though, please email me if you decide to come so I can steer you to great places to stay and eat and fun stuff to do. World class biking and white water rafting!

christy (at) christyraedeke.com

Anne Spollen said...

Thanks, Christy! UBI might be a few years away since that's his retirement fantasy. But I will definitely email you if it happens any time sooner.

And yeah, my kids come everywhere with me so we would be looking for stuff to do while he's taking classes.

Adrienne said...

I love this post. I have no real window treatments and do not blend with my Nascar-loving neighbors. Every now and then (just last week, in fact) we tour model homes we can only dream of affording.
Too bad we're not neighbors - but then, maybe we'd be hitting each other up for baked goods or something...

Katie Anderson said...

Nascar loving, duck carving neighbors sounds awesome! *cough

I am TOTALLY KIDDING!!!

Why don't you look at a little known town called Oxford? You'd love it!

Mary Witzl said...

I don't do curtains either. I consider myself phenomenally lucky that two of my friends see curtain making as almost a raison d'etre. And I've always thought that cats had a lot going in the psychic department. Wish I knew where mine was now, in the great spirit world.

Now, how about two dozen carrot and apple muffins?

Anne Spollen said...

I know guys: curtains. I know folks who change their window treatments seasonally and refer to things like "stitching up a valance."

Katie, I am not ruling anything out. I love warm weather, too, and I used to be obsessed with Gone With the Wind, so that qualifies me for life in the South.

Lol, Mary. Usually, I'm asked for 48 cupcakes with holiday spritzle thingies.

Spritzle?